Diocese of Winona Employment
Associate Director for Public Policy
Minnesota Catholic Conference @ St. Paul, MN posted on Wed, Jun 26
Apply until: 2019-08-26
The Minnesota Catholic Conference (MCC), the public policy voice of the Catholic Church in Minnesota, is seeking an associate director for public policy. The associate director assists the Catholic bishops of Minnesota and the executive director by actively identifying, formulating, and implementing public policy objectives that promote the common good in the state of Minnesota.
The associate director is MCC’s day-to-day point of contact with public officials and is responsible for facilitating good relationships with legislators on both sides of the aisle. We work to find common ground for the common good.
Lobbying, policy analysis, and building coalitions comprise the principal duties of the associate director, though the associate director is also responsible for building relationships with parishes, laity, and other stakeholders in the Catholic community. The associate director also works with other MCC team members to facilitate programming and develop resources that help Catholics be more effective faithful citizens and live missionary discipleship in the public arena.
Associate Director for Public Policy
Full-time, salaried, exempt
Pay and Benefits
Salary and benefits package commensurate with experience
St. Paul, Minnesota. Some travel throughout Minnesota and occasional travel outside the state.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with elected officials and staff;
• Coordinating Minnesota Catholic Conference legislative advocacy;
• Monitoring and researching state and federal issues that have an impact on human dignity and the common good;
• Participating in committee hearings, testifying on behalf of the Church, and coordinating stakeholder testimony;
• Attending meetings with legislators, staff, executive and agency officials, as well as others;
• Drafting policy positions, legislative testimony, and preparing updates and the relevant correspondence as needed;
• Producing written and oral issue updates to stakeholders, committees, and legislators;
• Building coalitions with other organizations and faith communities to advance legislative objectives;
• Planning and coordinating legislative events and outreach for Catholic clergy and laity;
• Training clergy and laity to effectively engage with policy makers and elected officials;
• Assisting with the development of Minnesota Catholic Conference communications tools, including videos and social media;
• Speaking to parishes and other Catholic organizations;
• Providing an accessible channel of communication between Minnesota Catholics and religious, secular, and other organizations;
• Representing the Minnesota Catholic Conference in media forums as necessary;
• Other duties as required.
• Thorough knowledge of Catholic social teaching;
• Practicing Catholic who exhibits fidelity to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church;
• An entrepreneurial and evangelical spirit;
• Three years of legislative, lobbying, or public policy experience, or experience in a related field;
• Demonstrated knowledge of the legislative process;
• Strong analytical and research skills;
• Clear and consistent verbal and written communication skills combined with effective interpersonal and organizational skills;
• Experience with Microsoft Office 365 Suite and products;
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
• Law degree or graduate degree;
• Spanish language fluency.
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, writing sample and three references to email@example.com or HR Director, Minnesota Catholic Conference, 475 University Ave. W., St. Paul, MN 55103. Additional information regarding the Minnesota Catholic Conference can be found at: mncatholic.org. Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.