Diocese of Winona Employment
Director of Development
Rochester Catholic Schools @ Rochester, MN posted on Fri, Nov 20
Apply until: 2020-12-20
Director of Development
Rochester Catholic Schools
Rochester Catholic Schools Description
The Rochester Catholic Schools (RCS) is a unified Catholic school system in Rochester, Minnesota, in the Diocese of Winona-Rochester. The RCS began in 1877 as the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes. Today, it has grown to include the Nest Early Preschool Academy, Holy Spirit Catholic School, Saint Francis of Assisi School, Saint Pius X School, Co-Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist Middle School, and Lourdes High School. The system enrolls students from preschool through grade 12. RCS focuses on developing whole child excellence and Christ-centered character in a devoted community.
Rochester Catholic Schools (RCS) develops the spiritual, social, emotional and academic growth of young people. RCS partners with parents and the Catholic faith community to nurture the development of a Christ-centered learning environment that fosters a culture of excellence where students grow in wisdom, courage and character.
The Position of Director of Development
The Director of Development serves as the primary strategic architect of a comprehensive development program that will advance the Rochester Catholic School’s mission and goals. Reporting to the President and working closely with the Board of Trustees and RCS leadership team, the Director of Development will tdesign and implement a comprehensive, results-oriented development plan that includes annual fundraising, major and planned giving, campaigns, and special events. The Director will take a lead role in establishing a vision for fundraising at RCS—including goals, strategies, benchmarks, and timetables—in order to identify new donors and deepen relationships with alumni, families, corporate, and foundation leaders. The Director will work directly with the Lourdes Foundation to enhance its mission.
Governance and Operations
The Director of Development reports directly to the President. The Director will work closely with shared services including marketing, communications, alumni relations, and business operations.
- In collaboration with the President, develops annual and long range goals and objectives for the advancement based on the RCS strategic plan;
- Supervise the creation of marketing materials to keep donors informed of needs, development programs and activities, and opportunities to give.
- Prepare the annual development for the Board of Trustees
- Maintain a strict level of confidentiality on all matters relating to RCS business
- Identify, cultivate and solicit current and potential donors;
- Articulate the mission, vision, and strategic plan to potential donors;
- This includes initiating appointment requests through phone calls and contact letters, scheduling appointments and making the ask.
- Identify, cultivate and secure legacy giving donors through wills, life insurance, trusts and
- retirement plan designations;
- Prepare individual communication, cultivation, and solicitation plans for each major gift donor/prospect to include gratitude phone calls, personal notes, invitations to special events, timing and approach of next ask.
- Oversee database maintenance and timely acknowledgement of gifts or donations through thankyou letters and yearly contribution reports;
- Research and write grant proposals that support segments of the school’s long-range plan;
- Cultivate recurring giving through direct debit processes;
- Plan advancement events and promote their goals.
The Director of Development will be evaluated at a minimum of yearly by the President of the RCS with a report given to the Board by the Board Chairperson. This 360-degree evaluation will be based on the duties and responsibilities listed above and metrics related to goals for the annual advancement plan for the system.
Qualifications and Skills
- An authentic desire to elevate the RCS and to embrace/advance its mission;
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or other applicable field; master’s degree preferred;
- Experience in fundraising, development, marketing, or related field;
- Demonstrated accomplishments in growing revenue, specifically relating to fundraising;
- Fluency with donor tracking software and social media platforms;
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written, and superior interpersonal skills with a natural way of connecting with various constituents and audiences;
- Experience in donor prospecting, in cultivating and developing relationships with key donors, and in achieving success with major gifts;
- Understanding of how to build and expand the donor base through a variety of appropriate and effective strategies that are carefully shaped and uniquely targeted to various constituencies;
- Ability to manage/oversee special events with an eye towards helping donors to connect at a deeper level with the system and especially the students;
- Ability to provide meaningful, productive engagement opportunities for volunteers assisting with the advancement initiatives;
- Skilled problem-solver and critical, strategic thinker who will meet challenges with creative and effective solutions;
- Talented team leader, adept at motivating, training, and managing a staff with diverse skills, gifts, expertise, and experience;
- A mature understanding of the critical role that Development plays in fulfilling the system’s mission, and a relentless commitment to achieving Advancement goals;
- Resourceful, committed, self-directed, and goal-oriented with an entrepreneurial spirit, a strong work ethic, and keen attention to detail;
- Political savvy to appreciate and navigate a complex, challenging environment, using discretion, diplomacy, enthusiasm, and hospitality to build bridges and create connections among all partners who would support RCS;
- Focused and disciplined administrator able to formulate an effective timeline, to establish and prioritize next steps, and to execute an effective strategy for success;
- Familiarity with IRS regulations as they relate to philanthropic giving and industry accounting and reporting standards.
Submissions and Compensation
The candidate should provide the following information on a confidential basis to Dr. John Wald at email@example.com
A cover letter to describe your interest in and qualifications to be the Director of Development of Rochester Catholic Schools.
- A current Resume.