Diocese of Winona-Rochester Employment
Director of Development
Rochester Catholic Schools @ Rochester MN posted on Wed, Oct 12
Apply until: 2023-01-01
Director of Development Job Description
Position: Director of Development
Location: Central Office
Last revision: October 2022
Rochester Catholic Schools Description
The Rochester Catholic Schools (RCS) is a unified Catholic school system in Rochester, Minnesota, in the Diocese of Winona-Rochester. The RCS began in 1877 as the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes. Today, it has grown to include The Nest Preschool, Holy Spirit Catholic School, Saint Francis of Assisi School, Saint Pius X School, Co-Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist Middle School, and Lourdes High School. The system enrolls students from preschool through grade 12. RCS focuses on developing whole child excellence and Christ-centered character in a devoted community.
Lourdes Foundation Description
RCS partners with the Lourdes Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization that provides need-based scholarships to RCS families. Lourdes Foundation recognizes the need for tuition assistance across pre-K through 12th grade is great and that financing a Catholic education is a long-term commitment and often a challenge for families. Assuring the future of Catholic education in Rochester by improving access and affordability was the intent of the founders and continues to guide the Lourdes Foundation today.
Rochester Catholic Schools (RCS) develops the spiritual, social, emotional and academic growth of young people. RCS partners with parents and the Catholic faith community to nurture the development of a Christ-centered learning environment that fosters a culture of excellence where students grow in wisdom, courage and character.
The Director of Development serves as the primary strategic architect of a comprehensive development program that will advance the mission and goals of Rochester Catholic Schools’ and the Lourdes Foundation. The Director of Development will design and implement a comprehensive, results-oriented development plan that includes annual fundraising, major and planned giving, campaigns, endowment, alumni relations and special events. S/he will take a lead role in establishing a vision for fundraising at RCS and Lourdes Foundation—including goals, strategies, benchmarks, and timetables—in order to identify new donors and deepen relationships with alumni, families, corporate, and foundation leaders. The Director of Development reports directly to the President. The Director will work closely with shared services including marketing, communications, and business operations as well as serve on the RCS’s leadership team.
- In collaboration with the President and Lourdes Foundation, develops annual and long range goals and objectives for development based on the RCS strategic plan
- Oversee the creation of marketing materials to keep donors informed of needs, development programs and activities, and opportunities to give
- Prepare the annual development plan for the Board of Trustees and determine resources necessary to execute
- Manage and evaluate development team members
- Serve as the liaison between Lourdes Foundation Board and RCS
- Identify, cultivate and solicit current and potential donors
- Articulate the mission, vision, and strategic plan to potential donors
- This includes initiating appointment requests through phone calls and contact letters, scheduling appointments and making the ask.
- Identify, cultivate and secure legacy giving donors through wills, life insurance, trusts and retirement plan designations
- Prepare individual communication, cultivation, and solicitation plans for each major gift donor/prospect to include gratitude phone calls, personal notes, invitations to special events, timing and approach of next ask
- Oversee database maintenance and timely acknowledgement of gifts or donations through thank you letters and yearly contribution reports
- Cultivate recurring giving through direct debit processes
- Plan and implement advancement events and promote their goals
The Director of Development will be evaluated at a minimum of yearly by the President. This evaluation will be based on the duties and responsibilities listed above and metrics related to goals for the annual advancement plan for the system.
Qualifications and Skills
- An authentic desire to elevate RCS and LFI and to embrace/advance their mission
- Familiarity with the mission and values of the Catholic Church and Catholic education; Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or other applicable field
- Experience in fundraising, development, marketing, or related field
- Ability to learn and navigate donor tracking software
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written, and superior interpersonal skills with a natural way of connecting with various constituents and audiences
- Experience in donor prospecting, in cultivating and developing relationships with key donors, and in achieving success with major gifts
- Ability to manage/oversee special events with an eye towards helping donors to connect at a deeper level with the schools, staff and especially the students
- Skilled problem-solver and critical, strategic thinker who will meet challenges with creative and effective solutions
- A mature understanding of the critical role that development plays in fulfilling RCS’s mission, and a relentless commitment to achieving advancement goals
- Political savvy to appreciate and navigate a complex, challenging environment, using discretion, diplomacy, enthusiasm, and hospitality to build bridges and create connections among all partners who would support RCS
- Familiarity with IRS regulations as they relate to philanthropic giving and industry accounting and reporting standards
To submit an application:
Email the following items to Annemarie Vega at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of Interest
- Resume reflecting educational and professional background
- Names and contact information for three professional references (to be contacted only with the applicant’s permission)
- Include your last name and “Director of Development” in the subject line of your email