Diocese of Winona-Rochester Employment
Director of Faith Formation
Church of St. Mary @ Alexandria, MN posted on Tue, Jan 09
Apply until: 2024-04-09
The Church of St. Mary, Alexandria, MN, is seeking a Director of Faith Formation.
St. Mary’s, located in Alexandria, MN, is one of the largest parishes in the Diocese of Saint Cloud with 5500 parishioners and a growing K-6 school with 270+ students. Alexandria is one of the fastest growing micropolitan communities in the country with an innovative school district and a diverse economic base. We are located in the heart of Minnesota’s Lakes Area with convenient interstate access to the Twin Cities.
We strive to be extraordinary in what we do and a leader in our diocese. St. Mary’s strives to live a Stewardship Way of Life which also means we offer a just and competitive compensation package to our employees.
The primary responsibility of the Director of Faith Formation is to provide effective leadership, organization, structure, and direction to the comprehensive faith formation and youth ministry efforts of the Come to the Water Area Catholic Community. To foster the personal and spiritual growth of parishioners, drawing them to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the faith community.
- Works with the Pastor to develop the vision for faith formation for the ACC.
- Develops goals, objectives and implements strategies for comprehensive faith formation & youth ministry programs that spans birth to death.
- Oversees a process for the organization and implementation of programs, and experiences based on the "Directory for Catechesis". The Five Tasks of Catechesis are: Knowledge of the faith, Celebration of the mystery, Forming for life in Christ, Teaching prayer, and Introduction to community life.
- Working with the Faith Formation Department Team, administers a coordinated approach towards total faith formation for the ACC.
- Develops, oversees, and manages faith formation at all levels, including the following:
- Sacramental Preparation (Baptism, First Reconciliation, First Eucharist, and Confirmation) and RCIA.
- Elementary Faith Formation using the family formation model (including an active role working with the Catholic school Principal)
- Vacation Bible School
- Middle School and High School Faith Formation
- Youth Ministry (youth retreats & conferences and mission trips)
- Young Adult Formation
- Adult Formation
- Assesses the formational needs of the faith community.
- Evaluates, designs/selects, and implements the appropriate faith formation curriculums which support lifelong faith formation and meets the needs of the faith community.
- Promotes and makes available retreats, conferences, mission/work projects, and diocesan events.
- Fulfills all diocesan requirements regarding faith formation programs.
- Ensures faith formation programs are properly staffed through ongoing recruitment, training, supervision, and support of volunteer catechists, leaders, and other volunteers.
- Identify, guide and support lay leadership within the community to take responsibility for program components.
- Assists and empowers parishioners to be effective evangelizers and disciple-makers through training and equipping, focusing on evangelization workshops, mentoring, accompaniment, and discernment of charisms with the intended goal of individuals seeing themselves as witnesses of their encounter with Jesus.
- Collaborates with the Evangelization Team to create, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive approach to evangelization for youth, adults, and families. This includes parishioners, inactive Catholics, and those who do not know Jesus.
- Responsible for the supervision, development, and evaluation of Faith Formation Department staff.
- Directs administrative functions connected to faith formation and youth ministry.
- Maintains relationship with pastor, other parish staff members, catechetical staff, and Diocesan Office of Faith Formation. Also keeps a line of communication open with the public-school officials in the local school districts.
- Pursues further education and professional development through attendance at diocesan, regional and national conferences and participation in the diocesan network of faith formation ministers.
- Attends diocesan faith formation and youth ministry meetings as assigned.
- Serves as Safe Environment Coordinator, ensures all volunteers are compliant and current with diocesan Safe Environment requirements.
- Assures and is responsible for Safe Environment Training and forms completion for all those involved with faith formation.
- Participate on Staff Leadership Team.
- Prepare, submit, and monitor an annual budget for areas of responsibility.
- Maintain quality and productivity at highest levels.
- Able to work within a team.
- Follow safety and good housekeeping practices.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree / Master’s Degree in Theology, Pastoral Studies, Religious Education or equivalent, preferred
- Minimum 3 years experience working in faith formation/religious education.
- Intermediate level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office & social media.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions:
- Actively practice the Roman Catholic faith.
- Must have a broad understanding of and ability to articulate Church teaching regarding evangelization, catechesis, prayer, sacraments, and ecclesiology.
- Mission-driven with a vision for Catholic education.
- Flexible and collaborative nature, who inspires and works well with others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; time management, delegation, long-range planning.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional demeanor in all situations.
Send resume and cover letter to Todd Wentworth, Business Administrator, at email@example.com
General inquiries may be sent prior to application.
Position will remain open until filled.